Thursday, April 4, 2013

Easy Peasy (and Inexpensive!) Letter Decoration

OR
This is a quick and easy project that you can have finished within 30minutes and at very little cost (which means you have more money to spend on other things...like more hairbows!).  I made this today in under 30minutes while darling G played in the adjoining living room.  If you can use a staple gun and pinking shears, you can make this. 

Supplies:
Wooden Letter (can be found at any craft store)
Fabric Scraps (I use approx. 1/8of a yard of scraps)
Pinking Shears
Staple Gun with Staples (I forgot to include it in the picture...oops!)
 
*For hairbows: Rick Rack or Ribbon (I have plenty of rick rack on hand so that is what I used)*
 
 
I cut strips of fabric about 4-5" long with the pinking shears to prevent fraying.  I was NOT exact when cutting; they were all different widths and lengths...being exact is not needed for this project which is probably why I've made so many for G!  Start wrapping fabric around any part of the letter one strip at a time (I tend to start at the bottom and work my way up).  I staple one side to the back, stretch the fabric across the front of the letter, and then staple the other side to the back.  I overlap to cover any bare spots and am a bit staple crazy when I do it.  Your letter should look something like this on the back after a few strips:
 


 
Keep adding strips of fabric to the letter and it will start coming together on the front:

 
 
Back View:
 
 
 
 
Keep wrapping and stapling until the entire letter is covered.  
 
Ta da!!
 
 
 
Be sure to trim off all the extra fabric from the back (I tend to do this as I work as I ALWAYS cut my pieces too long!) so that it will lie flush against the wall.  If you want it as a wall decoration, you are finished!  :D I made 9 of these 2 years ago for G's nursery (GABRIELLE...I really need to get a picture taken of them to post!) and added all kinds of crazy fabric, ribbon, and even ruffles to them.  However, I needed a place to hang G's MANY hairbows and decided to add a bit of rick rack to the back to clip bows onto.  I didn't measure the exact length, but just cut 3 equal lengths and stapled them to the back of the letter like so:
 
 
 
 
Hang on the wall with a nail or screw and you have a custom hairbow holder for only a few dollars!
 
 
 
And there you have it...an easy peasy (and inexpensive!) letter decoration/bow holder! 
 
 
 
 

 


 

 

 

 
 


1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial, the zig zag ribbon is so fun! -Rachel from Creatively Redeeming Her

    www.creativelyredeemingher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete